May Blog Challenge

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Scars, birthmarks, piercings...oh my

Day 14: Tell us about your scars, birthmarks, tattoos, and piercings.

I will start with birthmarks.  I have three.  I have two light colored circular shape birthmarks on my inner right thigh.  On my right ...ahem... butt cheek, I have darker birthmark in the shape of hawaii.  It's like a little cluster of islands on my tush!!  My brother nor my sister have birthmarks.  We joke that I got theirs as well.  I'm selfish like that! ha

Piercings: I have my ears pierced.  I wear Mickey Mouse earrings 100% of the time.  I wore garnet ones, but I lost one when I was taking my daughter's birthday pictures.  I now wear my cheap back up pair from Avon that are diamond colored.  I also have a third hole in my cartilage.  I got it done when I was 19.  That sucker hurt for MONTHS!  If I forget to take it out and sleep on my ear wrong, it will hurt for a couple of days.  I still love it though.  I wear my remaining garnet mickey mouse earring in there.  My last piercing is my belly button.  I got it done 11 years ago.  I got it done because I had just lost 90 pounds and I always wanted my belly button pierced.  This didn't hurt at all.  I didn't even know my piercer had pierced it until he was taking off his gloves.  It has never been infected and has never hurt me.  My daughter hates it.  She doesn't like belly button rings.  Can you guess what kind of ring I have in there?!  Yep, I have a purple stone Mickey in there.  I never take it out and I have 4 other colors of Mickey if it ever falls out.  My $45 garnet ring that I had it pierced with; the ball came off the top and it is lost.  I still have the stem, I just need to replace the ball top.

Scars:  We have discussed how accident prone I am, so you can imagine how many scars I have.  I have hypertrophic scarring.  Fancy term for over scarring.  My wounds turn into these raised bumps.  I will start on my head and work down.  I have a scar in each eyebrow from playing football with my cousins.  I have a scar on my nose from a scratch that I did (I am pretty self conscious of this one, because it is so noticeable).  I have several minor scars on my arms.  Two of my bigger ones are from going through a barb wired fence (left hand and inside left arm).  The other is falling on a piece of glass in the park when I was 8.  It is on my outer left arm.  I have a scar on my stomach from falling on a nail.  I have my beautiful knee scar and a bunch of minor scars on my knees from years of being a tomboy and bike accidents.  I have one on my ankle from falling off the back of a pickup truck.  Luckily we were only going about 5 miles an hour, but it was on a gravel road.  I have many just minor little scars from different things.  Because of the hypertrophic scarring, I basically over-scar.  I also have a few emotional scars that will never go away either.  Don't we all.

Tattoos: None.  I have thought about a few for years.  I am always so afraid because of 1. the scarring issue 2. what if I don't like the same thing in a few years.  3. I am so stinkin indecisive.  I would love to get a Mickey head somewhere, but not sure.  I would love to get a tattoo representing my daughter and my baby that died (I call her my angel).  i thought about a princess crown with wings for my princess and my angel.  And lastly, I thought about an American flag for my anniversary.  Ultimately I think it would be cool to have a silhouette Mickey head with the American flag in it.  Something similar to this:
In other news: I have so many freaking things I want to blog about and no time.  I have been doing project after project around the house.  One of these days, I will catch up.   Also, this week is the wedding I am shooting and I am super freaked out and anxious about it.  I don't want to screw up these people's memories.  

Photo Day 14: Share.
I love sharing my photography. 


My favorite animal.  Except I like the big hippos better than the pygmy hippos.  Sadly, our zoo sent the Nile hippos to Disney World when they opened Animal Kingdom.  One of them died in transit.




15 comments:

  1. Hippos and giraffes are my totem animals. :-)

    I love all your Mickey-isms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both of those. If the hippo didn't steal my heart when I was two, then I would totally go with the giraffe.

      Delete
  2. I didn't even think to include emotional scars. Sheesh, that would be opening a can of worms !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. Some of my scars could still be wounds that probably will never heal.

      Delete
  3. Wow you are Disney crazy. Our kids' youth pastor is also Disney crazy, as is our 'adopted' daughter. I think the tattoo with the flag mickey head would be awesome as it would represent two things for you. And a princess crown with wings would be wonderful! We will have to chat sometime about our angel babies! I have one too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wished I knew how it would affect my scarring. Plus, I am kinda afraid of pain on a voluntary purpose. One of my best friends just decides she likes something and goes and gets a tattoo. I have to look at it for the rest of my life and I just worry about no loving it in 20 years. lol

      Delete
  4. your US Mickey is a great idea for a tat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Awesome! *high fives* That's why I got a scorpion, with the scorpio "M" as my first tattoo. Something that I know I'll like forever. I don't take my cartiledge piercing out and sometimes I'll have to angle my pillow *just* right so it doesn't twist around when I sleep. :p For the tattoo what I did was I got the "M" first and it's about quarter-sized and nobody ever sees it. Tattoos don't have to be a giant statement piece. And if you ever decide to go for it and need a buddy to hold your hand let me know and I'm so there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope you don't want any circulation left in your hand. I was the hand holding person for one of my friends, I don't think I got feeling back in my fingers until the next day. In her defense she was getting the front of her leg tattooed. Right there on the bone. Mine would definitely have to be somewhere that I could show people, but it be covered and someplace where skin isn't going to sag. Would hate to have a sad Mickey!

      Delete
    2. LOL No problem. Mine didn't hurt at all. It's kinda on my lovehandle. Nice and meaty. My best advice is to just breath deep and regular and mentally go elsewhere.

      Delete
  6. You know, if there is ever any catastrophic event, I will now be able to identify you by your butt cheek. :) Don't you feel better now?

    And... you lost NINETY FREAKIN POUNDS??!?!?!? HOW?

    I have a Mickey tat ya know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahahahaha!!!!! I busted out laughing in the orthodontist waiting room when I read that comment!!! Hopefully my butt cheek is with the rest of my body and not just floating around by itself. I need details on the Mickey tat!

      Delete
  7. The blog post I wrote about tats goes into details folks about how the parlors are in fact not licensed, and not regulated and therefore not inspected depending on what state you live in. All states vary, and it's because of not being licensed or regulated and blood born pathogens that The Red Cross has regulations. In recent years they've loosed them a bit, so it's important to know what the laws if any apply in your state.

    I like that you waited until your daughter was old enough to understand what was going on with the piercing etc. I always cringe when I see cute little babies with pierced ears. Congrats on the 90 pounds, that quite a feat, go for you.
    Oozing Out My Ears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Oklahoma the establishments have to be licensed and it has to be displayed. and yes, our state does check up on these things. I have seen them shut down a few that didn't have the proper licensing. Not only do the establishment need a license, but so do each of the artists. And, they have to have completed or started their Hep B shot series. If I were to get one, I would go to the places where I know they are reputable. The place I got my belly button pierced also does tattooing. I know that place is VERY clean. Most of the tattoo places have been very well established with a great following of people who would use them.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.