May Blog Challenge

Monday, July 15, 2013

Good deed

Day 15:  Do a good deed and tell us about it.  Or tell us a good deed done by you.

I wanted to write about this experience for a week now anyway, so I might as well use it for this post.  I don't think I would call this a good deed, but something I hope anyone would do in my situation.

The week of July 4th, I had to call 911 twice.  I have never needed to call 911 before, but I had to do it twice in one week.  Quota for the next 30 years is met!!  The first time was Monday July 2.  I had just left the Senior Citizen's Center (playing dominos with my husband's grandma).  I was heading to the library right next door to get Elexis.  As I was walking up to the south side of the building, I thought I heard someone yell for help.  I stopped and listened (I have really good hearing).  Sure enough, a female was yelling for help.  I sprinted around to the west side of the building and across the street.  I could see a woman laying face down on the ground right by her car.  As I approached I noticed it was an elderly lady.  I can't believe it but all my years of first aid training kicked in.  I asked her if I could help her and was she hurt.  She said she fell and was wedged between her tire and the curb next to her. I asked her if I could maybe help her roll over (she was a bit larger than I am) on to the curb.  She said that she has two fake hips and a bad back.  I told her that I was not going to be able to help her without hurting her so we needed to call for assistance.  At first she didn't want me to because she was embarrassed that she fell.  When she started hyperventilating, I called anyway.  We are right next to the police station, fire station and hospital.  I could see all three from where I was.  The first response and fire truck arrived first.  I am still trying to keep this nice woman calm by asking about her family and stuff.  I keep reassuring her that we all fall (I told her about giving myself whiplash by falling).  I made her laugh when I told her that I hope they send the hot firemen and first response.  And when the first one hopped out, I told her she was in luck.  They got her turned over (it took 3 of them) and back on her feet.  The EMT's checked her over to make sure she hadn't hurt anything.  I gave this sweet lady a hug and went on about my day.  I would hope anyone would do that in the situation, but as we were waiting for the rescues, two people just walked on by.

The second time was that same week.  It was the Wednesday night that we went to see the Lion King in Tulsa.  We were driving home and it was past midnight.  We were three miles from our exit.  I was driving and I was in the right hand lane when I almost hit a mustang that was turned completely around.  Luckily I was able to brake and swerve into the next lane.  I looked in my rear view mirror and I saw someone laying on the ground.  I immediately slammed on the brakes and pulled over to the shoulder.  I put my flashers on and told my husband to call 911.  He is very directionally challenged so I had to talk to the dispatchers.  When we got upon the girl, she was starting to sit up.  So, again I told her my name and that I was trained in first aid and could I help her.  She was 22 and was going to work.  She didn't know what happened.  The only thing she knew was one minute she was on the road the next she was on the ground.  I asked her if she was wearing a seatbelt and she told me no.  She was ejected from the car.  My husband is trying to get traffic to not hit the mustang that is still in the middle of the road.  I am trying to comfort this girl until the police and paramedics show up.  Luckily I had a blanket in my car, because the girl was going into shock.  I ask her where she is hurt and she says her arm really hurts.  I check it over to make sure there was no serious injuries that would require immediate care that I could give.  I couldn't help but give her a little bit of a lecture about how this could have ended up a lot worse and that she should wear her seatbelt.  I then had to make a call to her mom.  I pray that I am never on the receiving end of that call.  I woke her up and I told her that her daughter had been in a car accident and that she was going to the hospital.  After the police and the everyone showed up; we were asked if we saw what happened.  We said no, it had already happened and we saw her laying on the ground and called 911.  We were told we could go after that.   I am so thankful that the girl was alive.  I don't know what I would have done if it were more serious than it was.  I hoped I would have just went into autopilot mode for CPR.  I am glad I didn't have to take that chance.

Very few people in my real life know about these stories.  It's not something I like to go around sharing.  I know the elderly lady was very thankful for me being there and helping her stay calm.  She kept saying she was so glad that it was me who heard her.  I did what to write these down to look back on in later years.

But, back on the subjects of good deeds.  I do try to do something nice for someone at least everyday.  Even if that means just holding a door open or letting someone go in front of me in line.  But, if someone pisses me off don't expect anything from me.  It wont happen!!

Photo Day 15: What I wore:
So for Halloween, I love to dress up.  I bought my costume 6 years ago and I have worn it pretty much every Halloween.  I am Minnie Mouse.  The shoes kill my feet by the end of the night and so do those dang ears.  But, it is only for one day, so I suck it up.  I try to go as many places as I can in my costume.   I think I will wear that thing until it falls apart.


Yes, my tights are sparkly.  Oh, and that is my cool rock floor in the foyer.  



21 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful lady Miss Cristy! Lots of people now days just keep on going. They are afraid to get involved. If I fall, I hope you are around!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My only thought with the elderly lady was "What if this were my grandma or mom, I really hope someone would help" With the young girl, my thought was "what if this was my daughter" I just hope and pray someone would help out. If you fall when I am around, it's probably because you tripped over me because I fell...hahaha!!

      Delete
    2. Now that would be possible wouldn't it since you are such a klutz! Love you girl :)

      Delete
  2. Hehe, you joking with the old lady about hot firemen was so smart, totally made the situation better for her.
    And man people who don't where seat belts! Whyyyy??!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. She was giggling when they came up. I just needed her to stay calm. I don't understand people who don't wear seat belts. We taught my daughter early on, that if she didn't buckle up; she wasn't going.

      Delete
  3. Wow--two times calling 911! You're a true hero. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two more times than I ever wanted to call 911. What's funny is I am friends with a dispatcher. She told me I could shadow her at work one day. I think that would be fascinating.

      Delete
  4. I have used our emergency line a couple of times over the last few years- we have 000 not 911 although I have heard that if a person dials 911 here they will be put through to 000.
    Its to do with the Americanization of our country due to TV and Movies.
    Whatever, as long as you get through to someone who can help.
    Love the Minnie outfit x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. I know back when 911 was new-ish a lot of people didn't use it until it started showing up on tv and they had commercials and stuff for it. Good that if that's the only # someone knows they can still get help.

      Delete
    2. I am glad that if I need assistance in Australia, I wouldn't have to remember another number. I wonder if that is the case for Australians dialing 000 here in America...hmmm. Thanks, I love my Minnie outfit as well.

      Delete
  5. WOW YOU'RE LIKE SUPERWOMAN!!!! :)

    in a Minnie Mouse costume! :)

    I wish I could just hug your neck! I'm proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahaha!!! I am going to add a cape to the back of my costume!!! One of these days we can hug each other's necks!! If I known how close I was to you this weekend, it could have been then.

      Delete
    2. Add me to the mix when you two decide to get together. Wouldn't it be a hoot?

      Delete
    3. Paula - you can bet you will be included!!!! I have so many trips I would like to take to visit people now!!

      Delete
  6. OMG You're a superhero! *tackle hugs* So brave. Also, WTF? Wear your seatbelt! I don't even start the car 'til I'm strapped in. 'Course my car will NOT stop dinging until it's buckled, but still. I physically can not drive without being strapped in. Not even down the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really feel like a hero though. I just felt in the right place at the right time. It felt good to help them. I will take the *tackle hug*. I feel naked if I don't have a seatbelt. And people know if they ride in my car, they will wear a seatbelt. Period. No questions.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It was a very interesting week. Not one I want to repeat anytime soon.

      Delete
    2. I can imagine...but you're awesome nevertheless.

      Delete
  8. AWESOME, I too would hope most people would do what you do, but...I'm not sure that's true. Given 2 people walked by you and offered nothing. Strange you had those 2 things happen in such close proximity. They say things happen in 3's...be ware.
    Good Deads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I've never had to call 911 and I had to call it twice in one week. It was so weird. Hopefully that third thing will be something minor like a cat in a tree. ha

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.