May Blog Challenge

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Prom...not me

Day 16: What is one thing that you have never done that you think most people have.

This will be a shocker, but I have never been to a prom.  I didn't go to my prom or anyone else's for that matter.  I met my husband during my senior year of high school.  He was a sophomore in college.  So, by the time that my prom came around, I was way over being in high school.  He wanted to take me to my prom, but I really just didn't want to go.  I have never regretted the decision.  I went to my 10 year reunion and stayed 30 minutes.  I didn't want to be around those people in high school.  What made me think that I would want to spend time with them 10 years later.  I keep up with the people I want to keep up with over Facebook, which is like a virtual reunion anyway.  Ok, so back to prom.  It was held at a horserace track and it was $50 a ticket to go.  My high school class was 700 people.  I find that a bit outrageous and that was almost 20 years ago.  The friends I know that did go (most of mine did not), only stayed about 30 minutes to an hour.  I do believe most people have gone to at least a prom.  If I did go to prom, I would want to go with something like this:


Really I just want to wear the pretty dress.  Maybe I should just buy one and do housework in it!  ha!!

Photo Day 16: Starts with T

A turtle from the zoo!






17 comments:

  1. I went to my junior prom with my soon to be husband and we had a fairly good time. But my senior prom, he was in the Navy serving off the coast of Viet Nam and my cousin took me. We stayed 30 minutes, took off for the big city and did some more adult like activities .). Proms are over priced, over rated, shows for the popular kids. And they usually just make the less populars feel even worse. I think schools should stop having them all together. Let those RICH parents throw a dance for their kids at the local country club. Mine can all come to a cook-out in the backyard and we will have a really good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this! To be honest, I didn't go to prom, or even my grad 8 graduation party. Just seeing pictures or hearing about it, gave me the impression that proms were for showing off how gorgeous you were, or how rich your parents were in fancy expensive limos and after parties and way too much make-up.

      Delete
    2. I agree, I would rather go to a cook out in a backyard than have to spend hundreds of dollars for a few hours. I still like the dresses though. They are beautiful. Cole - It's so good to see you back! That's the way a lot of prom pictures I saw too.

      Delete
  2. I went to prom, despite being pretty antisocial, because I didn't want to regret it one day. But meh, it was one of the lamest thing I have been to so I don't think I would have missed out much if I didn't go. :/
    But hey think of all the money you saved! One of my friends friend spend like 1000 bucks on a dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1000 dollars on a dress??? That is crazy!! I didn't even spend that much on my wedding dress. I don't think I have ever regretted not going.

      Delete
  3. I never went to prom as a student but I have chaperoned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't vacuum in those things.... don't ask me why. ;)

    I think prom is STUPID.... I went to mine and thought it was stupid and still wonder why I went. I skipped the 5 year. WHO has a 5 year anyway? I went to my 10 year and thought... it was stupid (shocker, huh?) I skipped the 20 and it is quite doubtful that I will ever go to another and I'm totally okay with that. They're all stupid anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never went to any of my reunions. I feel like Cristy...I didn't like those people then why would I want to hang out with them now. Just stupid!!

      Delete
    2. Who does have a 5 year?? What have you done in 5 years besides college for most. I had way more fun at my husband's 10 year than I did mine. Mine was really stupid. I will probably skip my 20 year. I don't really need to see people I don't care about and probably don't remember me anyway. I keep up with the ones I want to on Facebook, and even some of them I have deleted because they are so narcissistic.

      Paula - Exactly. I spent my senior year trying to avoid hanging out with those people why would I want to spend money to avoid hanging out with them again.

      My husband's 20 I am going to go though. One of my best friends graduated with my husband (coincidentally he took her to prom).

      Delete
  5. Me neither. Never been to Prom or High School Formal as they are known here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl, better to have not gone than end up going with someone you hated out of some bizarro sense of duty. Ah well. None of it matters anymore anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buy the dress and go out to high-tea with girl friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea. I will just be a princess for the day. Maybe for my birthday this next year, I will do that.

      Delete
  8. I didn't go to prom or any of my reunions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.