May Blog Challenge

Sunday, November 3, 2013

My First Thanksgiving

I am joining my friend Paula in talking about Thanksgiving for the month of November.

My first time to host Thanksgiving was the year we moved into our house.  Elexis was seven months old and my extended family still celebrated Thanksgiving together.   We had only lived in our house for 8 months and was still trying to get everything unpacked (it was a little hard with being hugely pregnant, and then taking care of a newborn/infant).  I have a double oven perfect for baking and warming, and I have a 5 burner stove.  That is where my kitchen luxuries end.  I have a fairly small kitchen with only one real piece of counter space, and it's only about 4 foot long.  But we managed to fit about 35 people in my house.

I liked it, but at the time it was also fairly stressful.  I felt I was being pulled in about 20 different directions (which I probably was), and nursing a child at the same time.  My mom and dad smoked a turkey and of course everyone brought/made side dishes and desserts.  That is my favorite thing about Thanksgiving is seeing what everyone brought).  My contribution is always a pecan pie (recipe in another post).  I liked opening up my house to everyone and them all getting to see my it.  It was kind of like an open house Thanksgiving style.  One of these days, I hope to host again (maybe when I have grandchildren).

Hopefully my husband will have my hard drive up soon (it takes a while to recover all those pictures, but they are all slowly being recovered...yay!) and I can share pictures of that time.  Tomorrow I will share my recipe for my Pecan Pie.

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your memories....pecan pie is not my favorite (mine is cherry) but Richard used to really, really love a good piece of pecan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.