May Blog Challenge

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Broccoli Cheese and Rice Casserole

My grandma made the best broccoli cheese and rice casserole.  I am sure she just used the standard ingredients, but OMG...it was amazing.  I always sat closest to that pan of deliciousness so I could get it first.  I have collected a few recipes from around the web.  I am anxious to see if any of them are just as good.  I don't really like cheese now, so I doubt any of them would taste good anyway...haha.

The first one is just a standard go to recipe.  Some of the pictures I came across, did not look pretty.  This is similar to the dish my grandma served it in.

This recipe and picture came from here.

I found a healthier version that didn't use any cans.  It involves mushrooms.  I would already have a hard time convincing my family to eat it without the addition of mushrooms.

Both recipe and picture came from here.

And lastly here is a recipe with a twist.  It can be made gluten free and this one uses quinoa in place of the rice.  


Both recipe and picture came from here.

One of these days I will make this.  I will definitely have to scale down how much I make.  I don't think the picky eaters in family would like it.  I know you can add chicken to it and make it a dinner.  Or, leftover turkey with the leftovers the day after Thanksgiving.

I have joined my friend Paula in talking about Thanksgiving every day this month.  



4 comments:

  1. This used to be one of Richard's favorite things to eat. I will have to give it a try. Since his stroke he has changed his eating habits so much that I wonder if he will still like it. This week he decided that he no longer likes lasagna! Can you imagine that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Lasagna is a staple in our house. One of the few foods everyone can agree on.

      Delete
  2. Oh man that sounds delicious.... now I'm hungry again...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.