May Blog Challenge

Thursday, May 23, 2013

What I didn't learn in school

Day 23 - things you've learned that school won't teach you

I think one thing that I have learned, but not from school...it's okay to be different.  People in real life (for the most part) don't make fun of you because of the clothes you wear, or how you wear your hair, or that you have a weird birthmark, or talk different.  People are too worried about paying their bills, working, and taking care of their family to care.  In school people get made fun of because of being different.  

Speaking of paying bills.  They need to have a mandatory realistic budget class.  Kids need to be able to have a class that is a semester long that they have a "job" and they have to pay their monthly bills and budget accordingly.  I know I got a week of teaching on that subject in an elective class, but it didn't stick.  To me personally, that is a life skill many people lack and desperately need.  

This is part of the May Blog Everyday Challenge found here.

14 comments:

  1. That's a really good idea! They should have a class that teaches you how to manage your money, savings, investments, and how to do your own taxes! Those things are super important and I can't say I really know how to do any of those properly......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I wish our schools had the funding to do that. Our teachers are underpaid as it is.

      Delete
  2. I think a lot of life skills don't get taught--schools think parents should teach them and parents think schools should...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I am a firm believer in education begins at home. Some parents don't have the knowledge or skills to teach them.

      Delete
  3. I totally believe in a 'life skills' class at school All about budgeting, buying a house, signing contracts, paying bills doing your taxes. Those are all so much more useful than diagramming a sentence or algebra in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. After you get out of school, I don't sit around thinking about pronouns and what not. In fact, I have to brush up on it when my kids wants me to help her with her homework.

      Delete
  4. With you on that one. Kids need money management stratagies, how to live WITHOUT credit. Agreed .

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100% agreed. In real life most people are more worried about what's going on in their own lives. Sure people stare if you stand out quite a bit, but you're not likely to get bullied and harassed for the most part. Budgeting should definitely be a must. My parents taught us budgeting with an allowance and NOT buying us extras if our personal money ran out, but... it didn't stick for my youngest sister. hrm... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I know I am more worried about my own self than 80% of the people around me. You have wonderful parents for teaching about a budget. I wish it could have stuck with your sister. lol

      Delete
  6. I think this is a great idea. Learning to manage bills and finances is something everyone will benefit from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some schools have the class in which students take a "baby" home for a certain period of time; surely what a student learns in a budget class is more like to come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I took the "baby" class (it was called parenting in my school). What a joke. It taught nothing about being a parent or how to deal with babies in real life. When you become a parent, you are on a very sharp learning curve...lol

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.