May Blog Challenge

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My rant...

Day 22. Rant about something. Get up on your soapbox and tell us how you really feel.

Let me just step up on my soapbox.  It has some grooves in it by now...I am up here a lot. lol

Today I will talk about entitlement junkies.  People who think they should get more than everyone else because they deserve it without putting in the work.  

I usually get really worked up about this around the first of the month when I go to the grocery store and see all of the Escalades and Navigators with custom wheels and paint jobs sitting in the parking lot.  Inside, people and their children (some will pull their older kids out of school for the day just to shop) with 2 or 3 baskets full of things like steak, boxes of kool-aid, boxes of little debbie snack cakes, frozen prepared meals, huge multiple cases of Coke (pop or soda for you non-Okies...lol).
They will get to the check out and their bill will be in the $300-$400 range and they will pay with their food stamp benefits.  They will then take these baskets and load them up into their cars that cost twice as much as mine.  They will usually be in some designer clothing and carrying the latest smart phone.  

Now my rant isn't about the welfare system (I could write plenty on that), but about the people who abuse it.  I know there are people who genuinely need those benefits (which are supposed to be temporary). But, a lot of people think they deserve those benefits just because they don't want to work.  And, the food stamp program should be redesigned to exclude certain things like pop and overpriced snack cakes.  Those are luxuries, they are not necessities.  They are also a leading cause to childhood obesity.  Ok, so I think this did turn into a rant on the welfare system, sorry.  I have seen people who truly use every penny of their benefits for trying to better themselves.  They will use coupons and not use all of the money all at once.  My dear friend found herself in a position with an infant and her boyfriend left her.  She had no job or no further education to provide for this baby.  She applied for benefits and then proceeded to put herself through nursing school on an accelerated program.  She was on the assistance program for 11 months.  She used the assistance for what it was there for not as a long term solution.  She also wasn't eating junk.  She used her money for stuff to make from scratch meals and water and juice.  Ok , off this soapbox on to the original topic. 

Yesterday, I was in Wal-Mart (a necessary evil).  A woman was yelling very rudely at one of the workers that she didn't want to walk down to the other side that had cashiers on it (we were at the self checkout side), and that he would need to ring her up.  She was puffing away on an electronic cigarette and complaining she needed a real one.  She also had a muzzled dachshund in her basket. She was complaining very loudly and a lot.  I wanted to ask her what made her so special.  I usually try to give people benefit of the doubt, but she was being particularly crappy.  

When I used to work at Starbucks, we had some of the worst entitlement junkies.  One lady asked us to make her drink using a brand new milk jug from the back freezer.  Our store was an extremely busy store.  We used a gallon of milk in about 10 minutes (faster than that during rushes).  Our milk was never bad, she just wanted to be difficult because she was a former worker at a different store. We just used our regular milk and she said that was one of the best drinks she has had.  

I will step down now and end it here.  I will say for the most part I try not to judge because I don't know people's situations, but I am human.  I am working on trying not to be.

I hope everyone has a great day!  All of our studio kids have been accounted for and safe.  Now we begin rebuilding.  


Part of the Blog Everyday in May Challenge at Story of my life.

10 comments:

  1. I judge EVERYONE....it's a hobby. The entitlement junkies PISS ME THE HELL OFF! I'm SO SICK of seeing these women with their fake hair, tattoos, Miss Me jeans, expensive bags, fake nails and all that other CRAP freeloading on the welfare system. Yes... you and me... we could beat a motha' down with our soap box presentations I fear!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh yeah!! I know just who to start with on the beat downs. :)

      Delete
  2. OMG I hate entitlement junkies! I almost made that my own rant for today so I'm happy to see it posted. I don't understand where people get this idea that they deserve so much more than everybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked quite a bit in the service industry so I can relate, man there are sooo many arrogant people who think they deserve better than everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and you get the brunt of people's frustration because your "the help".

      Delete
  4. I am ranting today about the same thing! Have a good day Cristy. I am glad all the studio kids are okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. I hope you have a great night and day tomorrow. I read your post and I was like..."Yes, Paula and I are totally on the same page with teaching the younger generation".

      Delete
  5. What in the world is an electronic cigarette???? I shudder to think.
    We have a wonderful welfare system here but yes, we see people who abuse it and genuinly needy people who miss out.
    Something about the means testing is off I think but yes, I enjoyed your rant. Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is supposed to be a smokeless odorless cigarette, even though I can still smell it. People use them to get around the no smoking signs. I think they were designed to help people quit, but of course people found a way of making them just as addicting.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.