May Blog Challenge

Saturday, May 25, 2013

I will never forget

Day 25, Saturday: Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget (good or bad)

I have had a really great day helping out the people in Moore with clean-up.  After helping my husband's cousin clean the side of their house (which is thankfully still standing...heavily damaged but still standing); my husband, brother-in-law and I went around the block just to look at the damage.  We wound up stopping and asking complete strangers if they needed help with anything.  We helped clean the room of a 12 year old girl.  They rode out the storm in their storm shelter.  I asked the girl what she thought when she got out of the shelter and her house had been ripped in half; she said "this isn't my house".  

I got to hug another home owner who just got back from burying his mom in Virginia and is still supposed to be there to help get his dad settled in an assisted living center.  I hugged a firefighter from New York who was down there passing out gatorade and water.  I hugged another home owner who had N.O.T.H.I.N.G. left of his house.  It went from being a two story house to a pile of sticks.  Luckily he and his wife checked their children out of school early because of the storms, and headed to his parents' house in Newcastle (where the tornado started).  

I saw more devastation than I ever want to see again in my life, but I also saw hope, compassion, community, laughter, family.  Every three to five minutes someone was coming around offering water, food, sunscreen, heck even a tetanus shot (which I got because I was due for one).  A church ministry from Missouri was there with bobcats and chainsaws just helping people.  Little kids, big kids, teens, people from every age bracket out there just pitching in where they could.  

So back to the challenge...a few people have told me and it sticks with me that I am a great mom.  Sometimes I need reminding of that when I feel those parent failures.  But, then I do remember that people watch my child who is a reflection of me.  I try to bring her up to be a good decent human.  Its nice when people remind me that I am a great mom.  

Tomorrow I will be back in Moore, but I am hoping to get my post up earlier than 11:15 at night.  Have a blessed day.  I know I had one today.  


This is part of this challenge.


11 comments:

  1. It's a great thing you're doing for taking action in helping out. May God bless you a thousand-fold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I already have felt very blessed.

      Delete
  2. You and your family and the whole community is amazing! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am just glad to be a part of things.

      Delete
  3. Aw I think the fact that you are concerned about being a good mom says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I question it. I am just happy she is a good smart kid.

      Delete
  4. I cannot even imagine the devastation you have witnessed. But I am very proud to know that you are there to help. I wish I was standing there with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pictures, but they don't do anything justice. I was honored to help all of those people.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I would have loved it if you were there. One of these days we can volunteer together.

      Delete
  5. I saw tons of photos of people of all ages lending a hand. It was really nice to see. I assisted after the 1999 tornado, and it felt really good to be able to help people who had lost so much. I wish I could've been there to help this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, having spent months on the receiving end of volunteer efforts {after Katrina}, I can tell you, with certainty, that those people will never forget you. To this day I think of the group of soldiers that landed to bring us water and food. or the people driving the food mobile {brought hot meals}, the church groups, etc.. I don't think they could ever know how appreciated they were, or much their presence lifted our spirits. It made me feel like people truly cared. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.