May Blog Challenge

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Snickerdoodles


Day 3 over at Holidailies is: Share your favorite holiday recipe. Where/when did you first try it.

The snickerdoodle was my grandma's favorite cookie.  I always got to help her make these cookies.  To this day, the smell takes me back to my grandma's kitchen.  Both of us are in our aprons and I am on a stool.  I really miss my grandma.  I don't have her recipe, but here is a good one.  My daughter love snickerdoodles too.  It is her favorite cookie...a wonderful connection to a great grandma she never got to meet.

Snickerdoodles

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extact
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 400*

2.  Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups of white sugar, the eggs, and vanilla.  Blend in the flour, cream of tarter,  baking soda and salt.  Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.

3.  Mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon.  Rolls balls in mixture and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

4.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes until set, but not too hard.  Remove immediately from sheets.  

Yields approximately 4 dozen.  

Elexis and I will be making these very soon.  I can't wait to make more memories with her.
Recipe and picture came from here.

5 comments:

  1. Mine is chocolate crinkle cookies. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dough for those is chilling in the fridge. You inspired me.

      Delete
  2. These are Richard's favorite cookies. I think I might whip up a batch for him this week.... They are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too...I went and got the cream of tarter today. I always seem to misplace mine.

      Delete
    2. We have a joke at our house about cream of tarter. When we were growing up we always like to whip something up in the kitchen when mom was gone from home. This time we were making cookies and none of us knew what cream of tater was so we substituted MILK. It makes me laugh still. And we had to fry the cookies dough cause it was a bit runny....

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.