May Blog Challenge

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Yay - Halloween Week!

I have been baking and creating up a storm this week.  I love it!  My mom commissioned me to make something for her work.  Well that of course turned into a couple of things.  I also volunteered to make cupcakes (or a cake...my choice) for a cake walk.  Pinterest has so many great ideas.  Sometimes I follow a recipe exactly other times, I take their idea and put my spin on it.

Here are some pictures of the Halloween Puppy Chow I made.  Here is the original link.  This was my first time making puppy chow.  I will definitely make it again with different things.  My poor deprived sheltered daughter thought I really made dog food.  She had never had it or heard of it.  We quickly changed that!  She is a fan.
I really liked the texture of rice cereal (or did I use corn?...not sure now).  

Chocolate and peanut butter - I don't really like either one of them, but I know a lot of people who do.  

The two different kinds of mix.  Traditional powdered sugar and the brownie variation.



Finished product with candy corn and reese's pieces.  


And just because I love photographing candy...

If you are too lazy to visit the website (like I usually am); here is the recipe.

  • 8 cups of square rice or corn cereal (I don't want to be sued for saying Chex)
  • 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips or melts (I used melts)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup of powdered sugar (I did not measure this and I had a little excess I had to sift off)
  • 3/4 cup brownie mix (luckily I made another recipe that called for brownie mix and I didn't use the whole bag so I had some left over)
  • 2 large plastic bags (gallon sized worked for me)
  • 2 1/2 cups of Reese's Pieces (I used one of those theatre boxes that cost a buck at Walmart)
  • 2 1/2 cups of candy corn (again I didn't measure, just tossed half the bag in).

1.  Put your rice cereal in a bowl and get your bags ready.  Put powdered sugar in one and the brownie mix in the other.
2.  Microwave the melts (or chips) and peanut butter (I did 30 seconds on 50% power twice and mine were done)
3.  Pour the mixture over the cereal and gently fold until it's all coated.
4.  Divide the mixture between the two bags, seal and shake (good for frustration)
5.  Dump on a cookie sheet to cool (or put on plates like I did so I could take pictures of them)
6.  Mix the candy corn and Pieces in until it is all pretty and ready for it's closeup (or is that just me).

Optional step 7:  Take pictures of the left over candy corn for Facebook cover photo...ha!  Speaking of FB if you want to be my friend, email and I will give you the info.

This was really fun to make and I am going to make my 'second daughter' (Elexis' best friend) some for Halloween.


4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you even had time for that what with all your blog reading and commenting!! We love puppy chow at our house. Darian loves to help make it. Might need to whip up a batch this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it is so easy to make. I made a batch in about 10 minutes before school on Halloween.

      Delete
  2. That's cool. I like peanut butter and I like chocolate, but not really together. Unless it's Reese's. They have the best peanut butter for chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the smell of them together, but I have never liked peanut butter. My favorite candy is Reese's Pieces though...go figure. lol

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I truly appreciate each comment and try to reply back.